Evgenia Kalyabina

A myblog.arts site

Macbeth

| 0 comments

“All hail Macbeth”
These were practically the only words that I actually understood while whatching a film. Therefore, not knowing the story, I just had to look harder at what was happening on screen. And that was easy to do because the visuals in the film are absolutly astonishing. Yet, during the last hour of the film I was wondering when it is finally going to end. So, here comes my review of a beautiful, long and complicated adaptation of Macbeth.

Lets start with the things I really liked about the film.
From the very start – the colours and how they change thoughout the film. The general colour scheme gets darker till the end and then turns into bright blood red landscapes. May be the problem with the second part of the film (not really a problem but the reason because it was so hard to watch it and to concentrate on it) was exactly this depression and feeling of madness and guilt taking over main characters. Therefore, taking to the account the story and Shakesper’s idea exposed in the play, you could say that the director has got it right and this is what audience’s suppose to feel. I liked the landscapes and how the athmosphere of that time was presented though them. I could actually feel the characters’ connection to the land and it all felt authentic to me, though at some points a bit fairytale-ish (hey, that story has never actually happened, it is a tale!).

I absolutely loved the cinematography – especially the scenes with siloiettes and the fog that were often slowed down. Those scenes are there in 2 cases – battle and insanity (profacy, witches, seing gosts) and actually, if you think of it war and insanity are connected. The man brings the gosts of the dead and fear to his everyday life (which definitely wasn’t easy those days) and guilt and pain drives him mad. I was thinking about the story for the past few days and I thought that the problem with Macbeth was that he was and honest man inside and this is where the tyrany and madness came from – he just couldn’t live with himself, and when he saw people around him who felt his guilt and saw his crime he felt like he had no choice but to get them executed wich add more guilt and on and on it went.

Back to the point. I really liked the camera angles and how they change within the same scene. I think my favourite here would be the scene before Macbeth killed the king and when he has this monologue about his intentions. It was the turning point for the character and here is where he’s started getting crazy. So, there is this one monologue – only one person in shot and he’s leaning towards the building (or something like that) and he almost doesn’t move, but talkes to himself and here is where the camera changes the position about 3 times… I think what I felt was some sort of personality disorder as if it wasn’t a monologue but a dialogue with someone and in this case this someone is yourself.

I wonder how they’ve done the cathedral scene. If it was the set it must have been huge, if it was a real place – well, where is it, I want to see it and if it was CGI – well done, I didn’t realize! Set design must have been accurate in this motion picture because I don’t really remember somethibg specific sticking out and I definitelly got this feeling of medieval atmosthere for sure.

In general, I can’t say that I got emotionally attached to any of the characters and may be that’s why I wasn’t overwelmed when I got out of the cinema, but now when I’m trying to think of any cons nothing’s actully comes to mind therefore I have to give the film 5 out of 5.

“What’s done can’t be undone. All hail Macbeth”